Nov 13, 2012

Japanese sushi VS western sushi

Many Japanese people that I have met that have traveled to Canada and abroad always claim that 'Japanese sushi is FAR better'.  This is a statement I really don't like, the reason being is I know there is no right or wrong answer in this situation. It is all based off opinion and personal experience.

I mean, all TAKOYAKI that I have ate in Japan so far is shit, but I am not going to go out on a limb and say 'Canadian takoyaki is far better than Japanese'.

The main things that are different when it comes to sushi are,

- How people eat it
- The cost (duh)
- Different varieties available


In Japan, It is less likely to find such sushi types such as California rolls, New york rolls, Spider maki, Dynamite rolls, Crispy tuna, Spicy tuna and so on. These are western inventions and are not common in Japan (but can be found).

In Japan, sushi restaurants don't usually sell all the extras such as Tempura and udon noodles like most western restaurants do. In Western sushi restaurants it is usually a mix of other Japanese foods packed into one (and sometimes its a Japanese/Korean restaurant, or even worse, No-named-random-Asian-mix-invention restaurant where the dishes are all mixed origin and usually just labeled as 'asian food').

In Japan, its traditional to eat sushi with your hands (still practiced today in some traditional style restaurants or by some people), but in the west this is generally considered rude.  Oppositely, In western countries it is fairly normal to pick up tempura and eat it with your hand (This is a no-no in Japan).


Another no-no in Japan is dipping UNAGI SUSHI or INARIZUSHI in soysauce. In western countries theres no rules or tradition as to how you eat your Japanese food. In Japan, items that already have sauce on it are not supposed to be dipped. Part of the reason is due to the fact that the sauce will mix with your soysauce (causing you to explode) and the other part is it is just not the way things are supposed to be done. These sushi are supposed to be eaten SONO MAMA そのまま (The way it is).

As for quality of fish, that really depends on where you go. Its ignorant for people to say that Japanese sushi is better, because in Japan (like other countries) they get their fish from all around (not just Japan) so its unlikely the person who is eating the fish even knows where it came from.

As for my Canadian experience, the larger cities will have the better sushi. Toronto has plenty of great sushi restaurants. I believe that the smaller cities (such as Sudbury, Ontario), have less access to good ingredients thus the sushi there usually tastes like shit is of less quality.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Italy I have yet to find a place that makes good real japanese food, I don't know if they try to match our taste (they don't match mine for sure x_x) or just try to fool us (most of the times the cooks are not japanese, maybe they don't even know how the things they cook should taste like...) but if I go to japanese restaurant I want my food to taste like the one I ate in Japan! (Anyway most of the times when I ordered a japanese dish, aside from not tasting japanese it just tasted bad x_x)
    About sushi, most of the places sell cheap quality sushi, that I still like but I can barely call sushi since it doesn't taste and look like japanese one at all.

    Anyway, the first time I ate takoyaki it was a delusion, then I tried the ones from a little shop in Ueno and I fell in love with them, they are less expensive, bigger, and in my opinion they taste better than all the other ones I tried before!
    It should be here http://goo.gl/maps/5bplN
    Did you ever try it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never went to UENO but Ill go check it out :) thanks!

      Delete
  2. I just want to say that I do not like this article because is sounds racist and towards Canadian/US way. By the way, the food you mentioned such as California Rolls, is not a western invention but a Japanese invention modified by Americans and popularized as such, like EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!! Such as Hamburgers (originally come from Hamburg!!! Germany) Budwiser (originally from Chech Republic and brought to America) Whiskey (originally from Scotland) Pizza (from Italy) and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete