Dec 3, 2012

Japanese steak....yeah its just yakiniku

Some Japanese people are surprised hearing that I am a westerner and have never had steak before. I mean, I have seen steak and watched other people eat it. I just never remember ever trying it.

Steak is something in Ontario that usually only people eat on a special occasion. Its also usually only classified as a mans meal, something I picture a man eating for dinner with his boss or man friends. Its also really expensive, so no wonder why its reserved for special time. Hey what about you guys? Do you eat steak often?

Anyways, A few days ago I went to a very famous steak restaurant in Japan, sorry I forgot the name. It is extremely expensive, high end and fancy. Since it was steak I figured it would be just like western steak (Waiter walks over and plops down a plate with a large hunk of meat placed on it, small sprinkles of pepper and steak spices).


 The first thing they brought us was Salad and Tofu in soup. It was SO GOOD!. I was extremely surprised at the quality of ingredients. The soup even had Yuzu in it. The salad had some raw lotus root in it, which I also love very much.


 One thing that can be pretty common in Japan is they usually cook the food in front of you. This is something some westerners find strange but its one of the best ideas. Now you can see actually what they are doing with your food and make sure they don't spit on it




 The chef comes to your table, asks you how you want your food done and then prepares it right in front of your eyes. We asked for medium rare steak and he began to prepare it. He asked us of we wanted bread or rice (In Japan everyone eats either bread or rice with EVERY meal, If you don't eat one of these its seen as strange).

After the steak was done cooking the chef cut it into small pieces and divided it into 3 (there was 3 people) and he put it on our plates. He then gave us two kinds of sea salt (French and German) and pepper to put on our steak. As well as dipping sauce? to dip it.  As soon as this happened I started to think....This is yakiniku.



 Yakiniku 焼肉 is much cheaper meat that is prepared over a fire instead of a fry pan. and is in small bite sized pieces. You dip it in different kinds of dipping sauce and its really good. This steak was made out of the same meat and tasted the same. Except the only difference was the cost of the steak...  8000円(80$!)




11 comments:

  1. I'm from the southern U.S. & we (although usually not myself) eat steak on any regular old day. Not the most expensive though, that is usually reserved for special occasions.
    We do have a couple of "Japanese" restaurants in my area that prepare the meal right at your table like you show in the picture above. They also perform fancy tricks and joke around with you. It's a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That called Teppanyaki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teppanyaki

      Delete
  2. I'm from the Southern U.S. as well, but I spent my college years in New York at USMA. There, we actually had steak quite often, around once per month, usually to commemorate some historical event or honored guest. I'm talking about that expensive, sirloin you see in the movies, but it is definitely very good, though I would argue it isn't worth paying 10 bucks a pound for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from BC Canada and we eat steak here quite a bit and it is everyone that eats it I'm a girl and I eat it so do my mom and dad. and it's not really for special occasions it is just sort of when ever we want steak and we usually eat steak maybe once twice a month at home and at uni at least twice a month if not more. what is special for my family is turkey or ham or roast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I don't understand steak taste you ate by your writing. Actually I haven't ever eaten more expensive steak than you. How was steak taste? BTW, I have a question. I looked sometimes erase line in your write, what are they? I guess they're for negative word, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said the steak was really good. Exatly like yakiniku though. Expensive yakiniku. The scratched out words are my hidden thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for giving. If I can excuse them, I thought you said yakiniku is not good food.

      Delete
  5. Mira nice blog, good to hear about a Canadian experiencing the world outside Canada. I'm a BC resident, we eat steak all the time,several times a week. Lots of different cuts of meat available from ground round to the most expensive cuts of Angus beef.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¥8000 for a steak never payed that much you must be going to a fancy steak restaurant that sells wagyu beef A5 grade? I just go to the hokkaido butcher and pay w/e on special for between ¥900 to¥ 2000 or go to the supermarket much cheaper by the way yakiniku cut and steak cuts are different it has to do with fat content and yakiniku is originally from Korea post WW2 and the cuts of fat are Kalbi and Rosu way cheaper places to get decent steak cuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lived all over Quebec and Ontario, both in the big cities and in the country, and I'm not sure where you got the idea that steak is for special occasions, or only for men? I mean even my grandma eats it all the time. We have it about once a week and it is not that expensive, there's pretty cheap cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete